Originally, the salade niçoise was prepared in the South of France for the fishermen coming back from the sea, so we made with the means of the edge for a salad at once tasty and balanced, but also nourishing, cheap and fast to do. It’s up to you to choose your favorite version … Me, I like to serve it on a bed of soft lettuce with halves of boiled eggs.
Number of people: 6
- 1.5 tablespoon vinegar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper from the mill
- A pinch of dried rosemary (optional)
For the salad
- 1 beautiful lettuce heart
- 1 can of natural tuna
- 1 small red onion cut into slices
- 12 pitted black olives
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small red pepper seeded and cut into thin strips
- 3 ripe tomatoes, washed and cut in 4 quarters each
- 3 whole eggs
- 6 anchovy fillets (12 if you love them!)
- Some sprigs of chopped fresh parsley
Method of preparation
Prep Time: 15minutes> Cook Time: 10minutes> Ready In: 25minutes
- Prepare vinaigrette by mixing vinegar and olive oil and adding salt and pepper to taste. Add rosemary and reserve during the preparation of the salad.
- Cook the eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes and then cut and cut in half lengthwise. Arrange the lettuce leaves washed and torn in a large salad bowl. After crumbling it, spread the tuna over the salad. Add the onion rings, olives and peppers.
- Arrange the tomato wedges and eggs all around the salad. Place star anchovy fillets in the center of the salad (if you really like anchovies, you can put more!).
- Sprinkle salad with vinaigrette and sprinkle with fresh parsley. To keep a beautiful presentation mix only when serving.
No controversy :
This recipe corresponds to the salad as it was usually prepared in the beginning, with all the basic ingredients but no cooked vegetables. Depending on the means, it was prepared with tuna (quite expensive at that time!) Or anchovies (cheaper) and they added eggs or potatoes to the water … The term salad niçoise is not a registered designation of origin, so everyone can go for its small variation depending on the preferred ingredients and ingredients available! We often see Niçoise salads with green beans and cucumber, it’s very good too!