Rich and creamy asparagus soup on the table in 30 minutes with cheesy parmesan and a hint of lemon!
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: American / Italian
- 2 pounds asparagus spears, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- juice of ½ medium lemon
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk – I used fat free half & half (see note)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes until onions are translucent and tender. Add asparagus, lemon juice, and chicken/vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until asparagus is very tender.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Transfer back to stock pot.
- Add milk, cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Serve with additional parmesan cheese as desired – enjoy!
If you have time, let the milk come to room temperature before you start making the soup, this will help prevent any curdling. If you don’t have time, it’s okay the soup will come out great but will be slightly less “smooth” in texture.