This made from scratch Cheesy Ham and Potato Chowder is thick and creamy and the perfect way to breathe new life into your leftover ham.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow or sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons better than bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Cook diced bacon in a Dutch oven until crispy. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Leave about 3 tablespoons bacon grease in the Dutch oven.
Add onion and carrots to bacon grease and cook over medium heat until soft.
Sprinkle flour over onions and carrots. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
Gradually stir in milk and water. Add Better Than Bouillon, black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder and potatoes and bring to a simmer.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Turn heat to low and stir in ham and cheese until cheese is melted. Sprinkle bacon on top. Serve.