Prep Time:10 mins
Cook Time:25 mins
Total Time:35 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 ⁄2 medium chopped onion
- 1 ⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1 ⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 ⁄2 lb fresh broccoli (about 3 cups), chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup carrot , julienned (can buy matchstick carrots in produce section)
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- salt and pepper
- Sauté onion in 1 tablespoon of butter. Set aside.
- Cook the 1/4 cup melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots and reserved onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper. You can leave the soup chunky or blend about 1 cup of the soup and stir it in for a smoother soup (that’s what I did). Return to low heat and add the cheese. If your heat is too high your soup can get grainy. Stir in the nutmeg.
- Serve with crusty bread.